Pittsburgh Civic Orchestra
The Pittsburgh Civic Orchestra began in 1958 when some amateur musicians formed an ensemble known as the Bethel Park Orchestra. When the orchestra settled into Carnegie for rehearsals and concerts, it adopted the name The Carnegie Symphony Orchestra. In 1983 the name was changed to The Pittsburgh Civic Orchestra (PCO) to better reflect its membership and community involvement.
The orchestra has over 60 volunteer musicians who are dedicated to providing quality music at a reasonable cost to the families of Southwest Pennsylvania. Students may attend concerts free of charge.
The orchestra has a history of outstanding music directors, many of whom have gone on to distinguished careers: Richard Strange, Professor of Music and Director of Bands, Emeritus at Arizona State University; David Stock, conductor laureate of The Pittsburgh New Music Ensemble and one of America’s premier composers; Donald Portnoy, Professor of Conducting at the University of South Carolina; Keith Lockhart, conductor of the Boston Pops and Utah Symphony; and Bruce Lauffer, music director at Lincoln Park Performing Arts Center, the Beaver Valley Philharmonic and McKeesport Symphony Orchestra.
The orchestra is currently under the baton of Warren Davidson.
The Pittsburgh Civic Orchestra sponsors a Young Artists Competition each year which features the winners in a concert with the orchestra.
The orchestra performs five concerts each season in the Upper St. Clair Theater. Concerts begin at 7:30 PM unless otherwise noted. A pre-concert conversation for students takes place 15 minutes before the start of each concert. Refreshments, including home-baked cookies, are available at intermission.
The Pittsburgh Civic Orchestra is supported by the Allegheny Regional Asset District, and by corporate sponsor Benchmark Financial Network.
Upcoming concerts: click here